CAT'S THAT SAVE LIVES
Ramblings & Rants - Read how Chloe the cat saved the writer's life, and the life of his girlfriend, and his daughter.
(May 2006) In Orkney, Scotland recently, Smudge a 5-year-old tom cat, raised the alarm when a neighbor's house caught fire. The timely warning allowed Willie Garriock, Smudge's owner, to pull neighbor John Drever to safety. "Smudge kept pushing at the back door in the kitchen, insistent that I let him out," Garriock said. "When I did I could hear a smoke alarm ringing nearby and Smudge went off in the direction of the noise." He followed the cat to Drever's door, where black smoke was billowing out. Garriock hauled the pensioner from the foot of his stairs to safety before the fire brigade put out the blaze. It was the second time in two weeks that Smudge has come to the rescue. The wonder cat kept going to a nearby house after an elderly lady had fallen and injured herself. She was later found by police. "I am sure everyone in the street feels a lot safer with Smudge watching out for them," Garriock said.
Cat saves baby's life
(Reuters - April 17, 2006) A cat has saved the life of a newborn baby abandoned on the doorstep of a Cologne house in Germany in the middle of the night, by meowing loudly until someone woke up, a police spokesman says.
"The cat is a hero," Cologne police spokesman Uwe Beier said.
"Its loud meowing got the attention of the home-owner and saved the baby from suffering life-threatening hypothermia."
"The home-owner opened the door to see why the cat was making so much noise and discovered the newborn."
Mr Beier says the boy was taken to hospital at 5:00am local time on Thursday, when overnight temperatures fell toward zero, and had suffered only mild hypothermia.
He says there is no indication of what happened to the boy's mother.
Hero cat dials 911 to save life of disabled owner
COLUMBUS, Ohio: Police aren't sure how else to explain it. But when an officer walked into an apartment on Thursday night to answer a 911 call, an orange-and-tan striped cat was lying by a telephone on the living room floor. The cat's owner, Gary Rosheisen, was on the ground near his bed having fallen out of his wheelchair.
Rosheisen said his cat, Tommy, must have hit the right buttons to call 911.
"I know it sounds kind of weird," Officer Patrick Daugherty said, unsuccessfully searching for some other explanation.
Rosheisen said he couldn't get up because of pain from osteoporosis and ministrokes that disrupt his balance. He also wasn't wearing his medical-alert necklace and couldn't reach a cord above his pillow that alerts paramedics that he needs help.
Daugherty said police received a 911 call from Rosheisen's apartment, but there was no one on the phone. Police called back to make sure everything was OK, and when no one answered, they decided to check things out.
That's when Daugherty found Tommy next to the phone.
Rosheisen got the cat three years ago to help lower his blood pressure. He tried to train him to call 911, unsure if the training ever stuck.
The phone in the living room is always on the floor, and there are 12 small buttons including a speed dial for 911 right above the button for the speaker phone.
"He's my hero," Rosheisen said.
Source: China Daily (January 04, 2006)
A cat in Luedenhausen, Germany, more than made up for her mistakes when she accidentally set her house on fire, but then woke her family so they could get out safely.
This particular kitty, a black-and-white cat named Mimi, was amusing herself at night by playing in the kitchen.
Somehow she turned on the electric oven, which caused a nearby pile of papers to catch fire. Fast-thinking
(but clumsy-footed) Mimi woke up her family by loudly squalling and pushing heavy objects to the floor. Says a police
spokesperson, "Mimi saved the family. There would have been a major fire had she not raised the alarm."
Cat Saves Six Families from Fire in Germany: This cat isn't even given a name, but her cries saved six families from a fire in Essen, Germany, Around 5 a.m., this heroic kitty woke up her 42-year-old owner with her persistent meowing. Her owner saw the smoke in her apartment and called the fire department, then woke up the other families in the building. This little kitty, who gave so much, was the only casualty of the flames.
This page last updated 12/19/2010
Back to The "Cat's" House